Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Turn Your Toe-Nails Into Fruit!

Okay, you caught  me, I don’t mean it literally.  But hey, if you want a cute, summery idea to get you out of this funk that is winter, check this out!


I painted my toenails…to look like watermelon.  Here’s how I did it!

You will need:
Hot Pink (or Red) nail polish
Green nail polish
And either Black nail polish and a toothpick (seriously) OR a Black nail polish art pen!
Also, if you’re really picky (I’m not) you can consider a white nail polish pen too.
Either a shimmery or clear top coat nail polish

Step 1:
Make your toe (or finger, if that’s what you would rather do) nails all nice and purty-shaped after removing any chipped and month-old nail polish that may or may not be there!  If nail polish remover was used, make sure you wash your feet before continuing to the next steps =]

Step 2:
Paint roughly two thirds of your nails, starting at the base, Hot Pink/Red (this should come up to the whiter part of your nails).  Chill out for a while to let them dry.  If you need a second coat, to make the color stronger, have at it.  

Step 3:
Paint the strip of nail left blank with the Green nail polish.  If you want it to look really realistic (which is humorous, considering it’s on your feet) you can leave a small white strip between the Hot Pink/Red and Green, or you can paint it in.  I elected not to do this.  

Step 4:
After the Hot Pink/Red, Green, and possibly White have dried, you get to do the fun part!  When I first did this, I did not have a nifty nail polish pen.  I had Black nail polish, which I made useful due to the toothpick I managed to dig up.  Dip one end of the toothpick into the nail polish.  BE CAREFUL ! THE TOOTHPICK CAN CHIP THE COLORS ALREADY ON YOUR TOES!  Draw little vertical slash marks, raindrop-shaped, if you’re truly skilled, over the Hot Pink/Red section of your toes.  Now, I have an art pen.  You can just draw it normally with these.

Step 5:
When the Black is all the way dry, finish with the top coat!  I had a shimmery yellow color that came out just shimmery over these colors.  It gave the watermelons a nice, glimmering and glittering shine.  If you use a clear coat, the colors will be extraordinarily bright.  Once this top coat is done drying, go and impress your friends with your blatant disregard of the season =]




Happy Watermelon-ing =]
-Bonnie


1 comment:

  1. Next time.... make them each a different fruit, and then your toes will be a fruit salad!

    ReplyDelete