Sunday, February 27, 2011

Tropical(ish) Smoothie


This is Bonnie!  I’m so sorry I didn’t post two days ago, but my sister was in town visiting and I spent a lot of time with her because we hardly ever get to see each other <3  But here is a post, two days late, so I hope you enjoy it.



So here’s the thing – I love smoothies.  They’re my comfort food, they’re my happy food…I mean, I basically make smoothies for everything.  Bad day? Smoothie.  Got accepted into college?  Smoothie.  Nothing exciting happened?  Smoothie.  I love my smoothies.  This is the “recipe” for my favorite smoothie! (It makes about two smoothies.)

What you will need:
Honey
Whipped cream (technically this is optional.  Not for me, though!)
8 Strawberries
1 Banana
3 slices of Pineapple
Ice
Orange Juice
Cups
Bendy-Straws
Blender
Knife

Step 1
Fill one of the cups up with ice and drop it into the blender.  Cut the banana, sans the peel, into three or four pieces.  Drop it in.  Cut the nasty, spiky part of the pineapple off, and drop the fleshy part in.  (I use the pre-sliced Publix pineapple because it’s convenient and not too expensive at all…I never spend more than two dollars on them.)  For the strawberries, I used eight or nine.  If you’re using tiny strawberries, use more, if you’re using bigger strawberries, seven or eight is probably enough.  I heard once that most of the nutrients from the strawberries are in the leafy part, so I tried putting them in a smoothie one time.  Don’t do it.  It tastes bitter and nasty.  Just use the fleshy part of the strawberries, slice it up a bit, and drop it in.  Pour in some orange juice.  I usually cover at least two thirds of the area the ice takes up, but don’t put in too much because the taste will be overpowering.  


Step 2
Blend.  (Haha, sorry, that was an obnoxious direction to put in.  But seriously, you have to blend them all together.) 

Tip: If you find that it’s not blending well, TURN OFF the blender and use the knife to mix it around a little.  A lot of times it’s just a question of too much ice in one place.  If, after that, you’re still having trouble, try adding a little more juice.

Step 3
Pour smoothie into two glasses.


Step 4
Drizzle honey over top.  This is honestly one of my favorite parts of the smoothie.  I love honey.  I use a sourwood honey I got at a farmers market, but any ol’ honey will do!


Step 5
Pile some whipped cream on! (Yum.)


Step 6
Stick in the bendy-straw (and bend it), and voila!


Enjoy your smoothie!  (I finished mine before I was even done writing all this, haha.  It was delicious.  It’s a very tropical tasting smoothie.  If you want a pit more “tropical” flavoring to it, use a little bit of coconut milk with the juice!

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of you and Tricia. I also like that you instructed us to bend the bendy straw.

    ReplyDelete