Friday, March 11, 2011

It's Never Too Late!

Unless, of course, I post two days late.... Whoops! Sorry, guys, things have been pretty crazy over in Shelby-Land, work, stressing out over Doctor's appointment, trying not to kill my cats for throwing up on my blanket... Yikes. Anyways! I love home decor... Used to work for HomeGoods, in fact, so my obsession was usually handled with that paycheck... I used to say that money would just cycle through. No more! No more will I pay $15 for a little sign that goes on my front door. Never again! Here's a tutorial that will help you make a cheaper, better looking, more personalized sign!

What You Need:

  • Scrapbook Paper (I used 2 different colors)
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint (A base color, and a writing color)
  • A wooden sign
  • Paintbrush


This is everything I used! I, of course, had the Mod Podge on hand, as well as the paintbrush... The different paints and scrapbook paper were all 50 cents each, and the sign was $2, I wanna say? Don't quote me on that!


Begin painting, with your base color, the entire sign... Front to back, sides, everything. And yeah, look how fancy I am, using paper and whatnot!


Make sure you get the sides, too, especially if you're using a sign like this one... They do tend to move around, so you don't want anything wood-colored...


After the paint dries... Trust me, you don't wanna skip that step! Take a piece of your scrapbook paper and put your sign on top of it... Flip the paper over, and begin tracing the shape of the sign.


Easy enough, don't get any pen/pencil on your sign, now!


All the hearts are traced!


Cut 'em out! I cut them a little bit inside the lines, just so I knew I wouldn't be going over the hearts.


If you have a second color, repeat the cutting process with that one. Then lay the paper on top of the hearts how you want the design to look.


And start Mod Podge-ing! Put a layer of Mod Podge onto the sign, then lay the paper over top and do another coat ontop of it... After that one dries, do another layer.


Cute, huh?


Keep going until you have all sides done! As you can see, with the smallest heart, there's a little paper going over the edge... Go ahead and sand that off, easy enough!


After you're done sanding, and whatnot... Do another coat of Mod Podge.


When using Mod Podge, I usually always take the brush in one direction, always turns out nicer!


Go ahead and paint some words on there with your darker paint... And wait for it to dry, maybe doodle some...


Then write the same words again on the back... Like I said earlier, this thing will be moving and twisting, so we want the saying to make sense no matter what!


After you're done, have your Fiance reward you with a bread bowl full of hot Chicken Pot Pie soup... Yummm... Happy life! Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

  1. The sign looks awesome, and the pie looks delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute sign! Makes me want to break out some Mod Podge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still have this sign? It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete