Friday, April 15, 2011

Cinnamon-y Goodness


I know most people, when asked what their favorite cookie is, will say chocolate chip or sugar or peanut butter…(or thin mints, and yum.)  Until last year I probably would’ve said sugar.  Now, though?  Snickerdoodles.  Hands down, no joke.  I love me some cinnamon cookies.  Here’s the recipe I use, in case you’ve never tried them! 

What you will need:
½ cup of butter
1 ½ cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 egg
½ tsp. of vanilla extract
¼ tsp. of baking soda
¼ tsp. of cream of tartar

AND
2 tbsp. of sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Optional:
Milk-chocolate Hershey kisses


Step 1:
 In a medium to large bowl, beat butter until it’s soft.  I usually stick it in the microwave to melt it first, or leave it out sitting to soften if I think that far ahead.  Add ¾ of a cup of flour, the cup of sugar, the egg, the vanilla extract, the baking soda, and the cream of tartar.  Stir up.  Add the other ¾ cup of flour.  Put this mixture in the fridge and chill it for one hour!  During this time I usually do something entirely unproductive, i.e. watching horror movies with my roommate and skipping past the super tense scenes because we’re both chickens.  


Step 2:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  In a little bowl, mix the 2 tbsp. of sugar and the cinnamon.  Take the dough out of the fridge and roll into small-ish balls.  Dip them (only one side or the cookie will stick to the pan) into the cinnamon-sugar mix.  I usually indent the top and sprinkle extra sugar and cinnamon in.  Put these raw snickerdoodle balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.



Step 3:
Bake these cookies (at 375) for 10 to 11 minutes.


Step 4: (OPTIONAL)
As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven, press a milk chocolate kiss right into the middle and let them sit.  When I do this, I usually stick them in the freezer for about five – ten minutes, but not always.  Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures of the cookies with kisses on them, mostly because I didn’t have any kisses on me.  But they are pretty delicious =P
In case you were wondering, I just bought this to store all of my experimental/family recipes in :)


Enjoy the best cookies ever!
-Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment